• Question: do you regret any decisions made so far? if so, what was it and how did you change it to improve?

Asked by Charlotte to Tom, Rachel, Priya, Jessica, Dan, Beatrice on 9 Mar 2020.
    • Photo: Priya Silverstein

Priya Silverstein answered on 9 Mar 2020:

I don’t regret any decisions – I’m pretty good at convincing myself that whatever happened is the best possible outcome. But I do often wonder how things would be if little things had been different along the way. Whenever I’m unhappy with my current situation, I work on learning as much as I can from it and focusing on the next thing, whatever that is. That gives me hope and helps me get through the bad current thing.

• Photo: Beatrice Hayes

Beatrice Hayes answered on 10 Mar 2020:

I regret dropping History at A-Level! I really loved History but at AS I didn’t do so well as I didn’t really like one of the topics. I wish I had just persevered. To make up for it though I read a lot about history now and whenever I go travelling I always check out historical places.

• Photo: Jessica Pope

Jessica Pope answered on 10 Mar 2020:

Not really. A bit like Beatrice, I regret dropping German at A-Level as I was good at it and really enjoyed it but decided to focus more on the Sciences. But when things start to go wrong and I regret any decisions I’ve made, I try to see what I can learn from this situation and what steps I can take to make sure I don’t end up in that same situation again

• Photo: Tom Gallagher-Mitchell

Tom Gallagher-Mitchell answered on 10 Mar 2020:

Similar hear no burning regrets, i think there may be a slight disappointment at missed opportunities such as a conference or grant call you have missed. I think as suggested by others it is about being reflective on what has gone well, what did i learn from that experience, and how can I apply that better in future. One thing to consider is support, reaching out to others who may have more knowledge on a topic or area is always a good way to get informed, has someone else succeeded in a process before, if so get some insight and feedback on draft proposal etc before you decide.